Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Death in the Highlands by Caroline Dunford (REVIEW)


A Death in the Highlands

Author: Caroline Dunford
Category: Historical Fiction Mystery
Suitable for: Teens+
My Rating: 4.5 Stars
Format Read for Review:  Kindle
Pages: 145

Description: Euphemia a maid for a wealthy family finds herself promoted to housekeeper and put in charge at the family’s hunting lodge in the Scottish Highlands. After the mysterious death of one of the guests she finds herself trying to solve the murder before an innocent person is punished for it.  

In Short: This is the second book in the Euphemia Martins Mysteries but it stands alone well and makes for a quick fun read. The mystery will have you guessing the entire time. It makes for a fun trip back in time to the beautiful Scottish Highlands. The slight hint of romance will make you eager to read the next book to see if love will flourish.

Pros: I loved the mystery in this book. I was constantly second guessing my assumptions and ended up being totally surprised at the ending. Although the killer surprised me after looking back at the clues it was completely believable so I didn't feel like I was being tricked. I also really appreciated how well this book ‘stood alone.’ When I got it I didn't realize it was the 2nd book in a series but the character development was still strong and enough back story given to completely immerse me in the story. I am a huge fan of historical fictions and mysteries and I loved how this book was done.

Cons: Although I loved the story in this book I knocked off half a star because it lacked a little something something to make it perfect. I would have liked a little more romance. There is the slightest little hint of a love story forming and I am dying to see how that turns out. I really like the main character, Euphemia and admire how hard she works to support her family so I really want her to have a happily ever after. I hope that there will be more of a love story for her in the next book in the series.





No comments:

Post a Comment