Sunday, April 3, 2016

Macabre Menagerie (Horror Short Story Collection) (REVIEW)

Macabre Menagerie

(Horror Short Story Collection)


Author:  C.L. Clark
Category: Psychological, Thriller, Horror - Short Stories
Suitable for: teens+
My Rating: 4 Stars
Format Read for Review: Kindle
Pages: 161

Description: This book is a compilation of I believe 12 short stories of the Horror genre. Each story is completely unique from the last and the book has a great variety.    

In Short: Grab this book and gather around the campfire! These tales would make absolutely wonderful short reads for anytime you want to creep out yourself and those around you. So, be sure to pick this one up before your next camping trip.

Pros: This book contains some really unique, eerie stories; there are monsters from supernatural to science fiction genres. I labeled this as a psychological thriller because some of the stories are very thoughtful or play on common human fears (like the Dentist for example). The stories range in degrees of scariness with some being more exciting or thought provoking than scary. A lot of the stories have shocking endings, and I am nothing if not a true fanatic of amazing endings. This book is well written and contains a lot of great details to help draw you in, in the limited amount of time short stories have to work with.

My two favorite stories from this book were: 'Coffee and a Slice', and 'The Sound of Nothing'. Coffee and a Slice: not one of the scary ones but quite mind blowing and had a wonderful ending. The Sound of Nothing, total psychological thriller. It was tense from the start and full of twists.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would suggest this book to a very wide audience. I would certainly read more by this author. 

Cons: Overall this book was great, there were only a couple stories that I didn't find very thrilling and/or scary.

Parent's Guide:  This book has some violence, and suggestive themes. I don't remember anything being very graphic.



I was given a free copy of this book in return for my honest review. 


No comments:

Post a Comment