Monday, April 24, 2017

I Will Love You Forever (REVIEW)

 

I Will Love You Forever 



Author: Tatsuya Miyanishi
Category: Illustrated Children's Book
Suitable for: All Ages, ideal for ages 5-7
My Rating: 2.5 Stars
Format Read for Review: ARC from the author/publisher in return for my honest review.
Pages: 40

Description: A Maiasaura (herbivore) finds an egg in the forest one day. She keeps it safe with an egg of her own until both eggs hatch. When the mystery egg hatches she discovers it is a baby Tyrannosaurus (carnivore). She raises the Tyrannosaurus with her own baby even though he is her natural predator. As the Tyrannosaurus grows he discovers what he truly is and after meeting his biological father in the woods he disappears with him and never comes back.

In Short: Overall I thought this book was too dark to be enjoyable for children. Although it tries to have positive messages of unconditional love and loving others even when they aren't like you, it in the process isolates adopted children. The adopted dinosaur struggled with his identity, was regularly drawn with tears in his eyes, and eventually runs away from the family that raised him and loved him.

Pros: The start of this story was cute and had potential, but I hated how it turned out. Maybe the other books of this series have more uplifting themes. I would suggest, if you are interested in this series, or your child just loves dinosaurs to check out the other books of the series first. I had never heard of the Maiasaura before so I learned something new. I really loved the Maiasaura characters and wish they could have gotten a happier ending.
           
Cons: The art and story are a bit dark and melancholy in my opinion for small children. For me this story is too sad and I think the ending could be confusing for the age group. I didn't feel that there was any sort of resolution by the end or that any valuable lessons were learned. I don't think adopted children should read this book because it could make them feel like they don't belong. Even though the mother Maiasaura raised the baby tyrannosaur with love and said all the right things he left her without any warning. It is a very heartbreaking ending that leaves a lot of questions unanswered and is not comforting.

Parent's Guide: This book contains some cartoon violence and sad themes that may be hurtful to adopted children. 




No comments:

Post a Comment